NCAA Football

Wic Picks: Week 14- Championship Week

Here we go boys and girls. Week 14 A.K.A. Conference Championship week. This is where the best team in each conference plays a team who we are genuinely confused made it this far. Like Northwestern. Who knew those nerds were good at football? Their punter, Jake Collins, is pretty good, but he also got to party for 4 years at WKU. And Pitt. Are you serious? The college that gave us Nathan Peterman gets a say in who make the College Football Playoff? Give me a break. SEC won’t disappoint, Big 10 will be meh, Big 12 will have no defense, AAC will be close and the ACC may have a little surprise in store for us. Don’t bother watching the Pac 12 Championship.

Pac-12 Championship
17 Utah vs. 11 Washington:
WASH -5.5
Levi Stadium- Santa Clara, CA

Friday, November 30, 2018 @ 8:00ET- FOX
Two 9-3 teams playing for a Power 5 championship. And the Pac-12 wonders why it gets no respect. Just the phrase “Utah football” makes me sleepy. The ever-underachieving Washington Huskies does not make this game any better. While the Big 12 refuses to play defense, the Pac-12 refuses to play offense (with the exception of Washington State). Every game is just me reevaluating my life and eventually turning on a Mountain West game so I can see a touchdown. Oh yeah, actually game analysis. I almost forgot. Washington is going to win. I find it very hard to choose the team that struggled against BYU. Utah didn’t lose, that’s Wisconsin’s thing, but the Utes definitely got exposed. Expect Jake Browning to be just mediocre enough as the Huskies cruise to a low-scoring win.
WASH: 24 UTAH: 14

ACC Championship
2 Clemson vs. Pittsburgh:
CLEM -27.5
Bank of America Stadium- Charlotte, NC
Saturday, December 1, 2018 @ 8:00ET- ABC

The ACC has got to be the laughing stock of the Power 5 conferences right now. I know I was hard on the Pac-12 last paragraph, but at least their championship involves two ranked teams. Instead, we have a joke of a title contender and a 7-5 disappointment. In almost all aspects of the game, it looks like Clemson is going to run away with this one and waltz into the playoff. Note that I said “almost”. I am here to remind you that Pitt is the Clemson Killer. Remember Clemson’s only loss the year they won the title? Yeah, it was to Nathan Peterman, James Conner and the Pittsburgh Panthers. Fun fact: Clemson has never beaten Pitt in a football game. Don’t expect anything new on Saturday. Pittstory repeats itself.
PITT: 43 CLEM: 42

Big 12 Championship
5 Oklahoma vs. 11 Texas:
OKLA -5.5
AT&T Stadium- Arlington Texas
Saturday, December 1, 2018 @ 12:00ET- ABC
The Pac-12 doesn’t play offense and the Big 12 doesn’t play defense. I know I have said this before, but here’s proof. The over/under for the Pac-12 Championship is 44.5 and the Big 12 Championship is 77.5. Yes, these are two objectively better teams, but the point holds. When it comes to Oklahoma, it seems like the over is never high enough. This rematch between the Sooners and the Longhorns is going to be a shootout. It absolutely was the first time these two teams met earlier this season. Texas won 48-45. Don’t expect anything different in terms of scoring. Unlike the first game, this one will go touchdown for touchdown. Punters need not apply. Kyler Murray is going to be out for vengeance, but Sam Ehlinger is going to try to ruin everything. Remember this is a rivalry game. Keeping their arch nemesis out of the Playoff is one of the most satisfying results this Texas team can get from this season. Now, what you should expect is a different winner from the first matchup. Oklahoma outlasts Texas.
OKLA: 53 TEX: 47

SEC Championship
1 Alabama vs 4 Georgia:
BAMA -13.5
Mercedes-Benz Stadium- Atlanta, GA
Saturday, December 1, 2018 @ 4:00ET- CBS

This is not only the best game of the weekend, but also the most interesting. If the season were over today, both teams would be in the College Football Playoff. In a scenarios article I will post later, I will go into more depth about this, but both teams making the playoff is still possible. If Alabama wins (they will), then they make the playoff as the #1 and Georgia drops out. HOWEVVA *Stephen A. Smith voice* Alabama will get in even if they lose. But I wouldn’t worry about that scenario. While Georgia is very good and Fromm is one of the most efficient quarterbacks ever, there is no way they can keep up with Bama. If we learned anything from UGA’s loss to LSU, it is that they fall apart versus teams that can throw. Alabama has a guy who has been known to throw around the pigskin pretty well named Tua. I expect a gentleman’s blowout in this one.
BAMA: 41 UGA: 20

Big 10 Championship
6 Ohio State vs 21 Northwestern:
OSU -14.5
Lucas Oil Stadium- Indianapolis, IN
Saturday, December 1, 2018 @ 8:00ET- FOX
You never know which Ohio State team is going to show up. Will they get blown out by an unranked opponent, give up 51 to an unranked team, or blow out a national title contender? That’s what makes this game the best of the 8:00 games. Regardless of the score, Dwayne Haskins will have a silent 500 yards and 5 touchdowns. Just kinda what he does. Ohio State plays their best when something is on the line. There was something last week and we saw how that played out. Now a chance at the playoffs are on the line, so i expect big things. Buckeyes roll over the nerds and keep their hopes alive.
OSU: 38 NU:17

AAC Championship
8 UCF vs. Memphis:
UCF -3.0
Spectrum Stadium- Orlando, FL
Saturday, December 1, 2018 @ 3:30ET- ABC
The first time these teams played, UCF won 31-30. Now this rematch carries way more than just a chance at an undefeated season. This is UCF’s chance at the Playoff, their potential title claim, and the only time they can show the CFP Selection Committee that they can win without McKenzie Milton. Expect a huge game from UCF running back Greg McCrae. UCF wins the title yet again.
UCF: 29 MEM: 25

Mountain West Championship
22 Boise State vs. 25 Fresno State:
BSU -2.5
Albertsons Stadium- Boise, ID
Saturday, December 1, 2018 @ 7:45ET- ESPN
I gotta be honest, I will not be watching this game and I don’t know anything about either team. All I know is that it will be more exciting than the Pac-12 championship game. Boise State won the first matchup this season, 24-17, and I have no reason to expect anything different this time around. I hear Bronco QB Brett Rypien is pretty good so I’ll say he throws for 350 yards and 3 TD’s. Sound good?
BSU: 33 FRES: 24