If you have been on Twitter for more than 30 seconds this week, you’ve seen the rumors that Carmelo Anthony has played his last game in Houston. Didn’t expect him to be made the scapegoat so soon, but here we are. What you may not have heard is all the rumors about where he could end up. In the midst of all the water cooler talk, Kyrie Irving made a comment following a loss to the Trailblazers that has my fellow Celtics fans in a tizzy. He said, “…Right now I think that it would be nice if we had someone that was a 15-year vet, 14-year vet, that could just kind of help us race along the regular season and help us understand that it’s a long marathon rather than just a full-on sprint.” Sounds a lot like he wants Melo. I trusted you, Kyrie. Why do you want to do that to us?
Look, Kyrie, my man, I agree a veteran would help us out, but can I suggest a couple other options that aren’t Melo? Wait, don’t answer I’m already doing it:
- Vince Carter– This dude has been in the league since it’s conception and is still putting up numbers. Being 41 years old, I thought he would be playing in the BIG 3 League, but Vinsanity is still dunking in traffic. He deserves a ring and if we want a veteran, he is the guy we should be going for.
- Dirk Nowitzki- No way he leaves Dallas, but who wouldn’t want the guy who single handedly beat LeBron’s Miami Heat team? He is the best veteran out there and would no doubt be a great addition.
- Jamal Crawford– 3-time 6th Man of the Year and the 2018 Twyman Stokes Teammate of the Year awards winner. So a guy who not only is used to coming off the bench and is great when he does, but also is ready with a high-5 any time someone else comes off the court. Quality guy.
- Manu Ginobili– Brad Stevens may be able to get him out of retirement. Worth a shot, right? He could play well into his 90’s and has all the playoff experience.
- Jose Calderon– Clearly an amazing player. Weird how the Cavaliers started losing once he left.
- Kyle Korver– Already used to being carried to the Finals. And boy, do the Celtics love to shoot 3’s.
- Tyson Chandler– Doing okay with the Lakers right now. Even had a game winning block. Not sure if he has any playoff experience, but would be a good hype man.
- Dwayne Wade– I don’t know anyone that would leave Miami for Boston in the middle of the month of November for less than a cool couple mill. Also not sure if he would be okay with not starting. Just an idea.
- Tracy McGrady– How awesome would it be if we reunited cousins Tracy McGrady and Vince Carter for a championship? He’s only 39, but I don’t think Tracy has knees anymore. Let’s bring him on as a Kendrick Perkins type where he just breaks up fights and we can give him a ring if we win.
- Kendrick Perkins– We can bring on Kendrick Perkins on as a Kendrick Perkins type (see above). What a reunion that would be.